Nativity Advent with Felt

Last christmas I came across this sweet nativity advent made of felt. I loved the idea and knew I had to make something similar for our home immediately. Unfortunately with traveling to New Zealand last December and arriving home a few days before Christmas with jet lag and colds… an advent calendar just didn’t make the schedule.

This year I’ve started early on the Christmas crafting and have a felt nativity advent completed and ready for December! I made mine in a red & neutral palette to match with our other decorations.

full nativity felt advent

I was feeling lazy so my felt figures are glued together rather than stitched.

detail felt nativity

I bought a cheap red 30x40cm nyttja frame from Ikea and popped some grey felt backing into it. The white polka dots are velcro spots so that all the nativity pieces can be added, day by day.

empty nativity advent

Full credit for this awesome advent design goes to the Barefoot in the Kitchen blog which you should totally check out. Thanks for the inspiration!

Comments 6

1. Michelle G wrote:

Did you use a template or just free hand these?

Posted 19 Nov 2013 at 10:51 pm
  2. Kat wrote:

Hi, this is freehand based very closely on another advent I’d seen online (see link in post)

Posted 20 Nov 2013 at 4:39 am
  3. Gloria Yachyshen wrote:

I am thrilled that I came across your post. Our facility recently lost our home and entire contents in a fire in Feb. 2014. I had made this nativity advent years ago and our two boys (adults now) always looked for it. I am going through the insurance claim process which is a stressful activity in itself.
    I was wondering if you would be willing to sell me a copy of your pattern as I would so like to make another one.

Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 6:27 pm
  4. Emily wrote:

Do you have the pattern you used to make this? And if you do would you be willing to sell it?

Posted 22 Sep 2014 at 9:32 pm
  5. Kat wrote:

Hi there, I don’t have a pattern for this sorry. I just sketched the figures by hand after looking at photos of the original advent idea from Stephanie of ‘Barefoot in the Kitchen’. She mentions in her post that another crafter has made a pattern that can be bought on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CutesyCraftsBoutique Hope that helps you!

Posted 23 Sep 2014 at 7:28 am
  6. Kat wrote:

Hi there! Sorry for the delayed response, this comment got lost in a backlog of blog spam. I’m so sorry to hear about the fire and your loss. I don’t have a pattern to sell. The original design and idea come from Stephanie of Barefoot in the Kitchen. She mentions another crafter has (with permission) made a pattern which is available for sale on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CutesyCraftsBoutique Should have enough time for you to whipo up one of these for Christmas ’14.

Posted 23 Sep 2014 at 7:36 am